The famous truffle auction was held this past weekend, simultaneously in three locations: Merano Food & Wine Festival (with culinary journalist Luigi Cremona and chef Helmut Koecher), The Castle of Grinzane Cavour in Piedmont´s Langhe region (with Italian showman Ezio Greggio and food journalist Davide Paolini, see photos from last year’s event) and at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Tokyo (with chef Umberto Bombana from Ritz Carlton Hong Kong) .
Hundreds of people attended this event, mainly wine producers, restaurants and celebrities. Journalists and gourmet enthusiasts also came to experience this high energy and exciting event. When the auction first started Terra Moretti and Relais San Martino were the most active, trying to win the biggest truffle that was ultimately sold in Tokyo. Loved the thrill of the “Rilanci”.
The biggest truffle (850 grams) was sold for 24,000 euros to a Japanese client from Tokyo. The largest truffle at the Merano wine fair was 400 grams and was sold for 14,300 euros to a local hotel association.
Other important truffle sales:
- 228 gr Truffle sold for 4,300 euros to the 5* Hotel Relais Villa San Martino in Puglia
- 235 gr Truffle sold for 5,300 euros to Marcello Lunelli of the Ferrari winery in Trento
- 300 gr Truffle sold for 8,500 euros to Vittorio Moretti of Terra Moretti (who own among many other companies the Bellavista and Contadi Castaldi wineries in Franciacorta, the Albereta and Andana luxury hotels and the Mirabile wine estate in Sicily.
- 180 gr Truffle sold for 2,00 euros to Andrea Zana from restaurant Cafè Les Paillotes in Pescara.
The total truffle sales clocked in at 118,000 Euros!
After the truffle auction, there were other events and activities like:
- Cooking for Wine: chefs Vittorio Fusari of La Dispensa in Franciacorta, Fabio Picchi of Florence´s Cibréo, Paolo Sari of The Chedi in Milano, Maurizio and Sandro Serva of La Trota in Rivodutri and Fabio Barbaglini all cooked truffle specialties.
- In the cigar room, there was a tasting of the ‘Toscano Originale’- a cigar aged for a few weeks in 3 different kind of grappas (Pinot Nero, una Cinquanta e una Solera Selezione) from the Segnana producer.
Truffles can be found in many Italian regions including Piedmont, Umbria and Tuscany and you can attend all kinds of truffle events from truffle festivals, truffle auctions and you can even go on your own private truffle hunts with the “Trifulau” professional truffle hunters.
A few ideas for truffle lovers:
San Miniato Truffle Festival- the pretty Tuscan village of San Miniato hosts the annual Mostra Mercato Nazionale del Tartufo Bianco- the white truffle festival. This year it starts on November 16. More info.
Truffle Hunting in Umbria- Cellar Tours organizes private truffle hunts and cooking classes with truffles in Umbria. More info on truffle hunt.
More info on Umbria wine region.